Monitoring Present schemes Previous schemes Recent publications
Common Bird Monitoring - Transect routes in summer on random 1-km squares (n = 130 in 2005). The scheme started in 2004.
Many popular articles are published in Bulgaria but there are no scientific papers published so far. The first trends of selected common bird species will be ready at the end of 2006 and scientific paper will be prepared.
Svetoslav Spasov, Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds (BSPB), Sofia 1111, PO Box 50, Bulgaria
www.bspb.org/monitoring (only in Bulgarian, English version is under construction)
Census period: 1995-2005. Method: Breeding criteria in 10 x 10 km squares. Some species counted. Densities estimated for common terrestrial species based on mapping censuses. The Atlas will be published in October 2006.
Petar Iankov, Bulgarian Society for the Protection of Birds (BSPB), Sofia 1111, PO Box 50, Bulgaria
Other Current National Surveys
1) Mid-winter count of water birds (http://bspb.org/srednozimno.php)
2) Monitoring of wintering population of Red-breasted Goose
3) Ferruginous Duck census (http://bspb.org/nyroca)
3) Monitoring of Imperial Eagle breeding pairs (http://bspb.org/heliaca)
4) Monitoring of Griffon Vulture colonies
5) Monitoring of Egyptian Vultures breeding pairs
6) Census of White-tailed Eagle breeding pairs
Latest update 25 April 2006